Thursday, September 2, 2010

hystero went well.

When I had my Lap there was some confusion about surgery time, so I was too rushed to notice much of the pre-surgery prep.  We reported to the surgery center at 11:30am and I had about an hour to kill this time, so when the took me back they gave one of those bair paws gowns, where they can attach a little air heater to the gown to keep you warm.  It was pretty neat but the air tickled a little bit and I kept have to readjust it because the connection piece was right above my knees.  The anesthesiologist came and talked to me and got my IV started.  They used my left hand, which hurt a bit and started a saline drip.  Well, apparently she started it on too heavy a drip speed because the next nurse turned it down, which much have made my veins constrict because my wrist and forearm started to burn.  So they turned it back up and it got better until a few minutes before surgery time and my IV bag ran out, then my arm hurt again.  So they got my a new bag and I was up and walking to the OR.

I had informed the anesthetist in pre-op that I had had a recent sciatica flare, so she told me they would position my legs before I was asleep so I could tell them if I was comfortable. Obviously I was aware my legs were strapped up during my Lap/hystero, but I didn't give it a whole lot of thought.  Thankfully I had blankets covering me while the nurse positioned them because there was no room left for imagination by the time she was done.

Once I was all strapped down, they gave me an oxygen mask and told me to breath deeply but I barely heard them because it was about this time that I felt a searing pain start up my arm (somewhere in there they told me they were starting anesthesia, but I must have been distracted by the giant padded boots my legs were strapped in).  They told me to take deep breaths again and I started swearing because it hurt so much.  My arm was on fire...all of it.  I wonder if the Twilight author had the same experience and used it for her "turning" description, because that pretty much summed it up.  By the time it reached my shoulder I seriously thought there was going to be permanent damage...luckily it actually kicked in at the same time and I was out.

When I woke up I was surprised to find that I had no abdominal pain.  I did, however, have a very dry and very sore throat, so ice chips were my first request.  After the nurse retrieved my ice chips and got R from the waiting room, I did have one round of sharp cramping, which she kindly gave a percocet and some ginger ale for.  I was kept in recovery for close to an hour from what R said, but it only felt like 20 minutes or so to me.

We were discharged around 2:30, and by the time I was home I was just feeling tired and groggy from the anesthesia so I slept most of the afternoon.  My throat is still a little sore and last night I could barely swallow my dinner.  The bleeding has mostly stopped and I am back at work for a few hours today.

4 comments:

  1. Glad it went well. Hope your throat gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it went ok!!
    I second the burning up the arm with the anesthesia being awful! That was one of the hardest parts of my last surgery, so you are not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. That sounds so painful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a trooper. I know for sure I;d have been crying in pre-op, and possibly for the rest of the day. I commend you, and thanks for talking about it so it's actually not as bad as I think it would be. It makes a difference. I am sorry they tried to ruin your arm, but I am happy that you recovered quickly.

    ReplyDelete