Tuesday, March 16, 2010

updates on IVF

We found out that I can get on R's insurance at any time, which is great news. We probably couldn't get it worked out for May since the insurance does need 30 days advance notification, but we were looking at cycling June 11th. I am not real thrilled with cycling in the summer, or having a potential BFN within weeks of SILs due date, but it is what it is.

I talked to our IVF coordinator last week and she confirmed that we also get great medication coverage. Today R checked with his company about lifetime max coverage....and it is only 10k. If this max includes medication we won't even come close to the cost of one IVF cycle, not to mention we are SOL if it fails. So I have another call into the coordinator. I am hoping that meds are covered separately. I did some math using the highest med estimate (7,500).
Total cost including everything for one regular IVF is 19,975.
Minus 10k leaves us with 9,975.
If meds are covered separately we have 2,475 to pay OOP plus co-pays

My other thought is paying OOP for the half-price cycle and seeing if we could use the coverage for just meds. I'm not sure if this would be allowed but here is that break down.
Total cost for everything and meds for first IVF is 14, 200.
If meds can be covered we are left with 6, 700.

If meds aren't covered seperately and option #2 is available, clearly that is the better deal. Even if they are, about 4k extra would get us two IVF cycles plus any FETs from the first cycle. So.... backup plans of FETs and IVF#2 included in 7k, or just one with 2-10k. This is so frustrating. And I'm sure the stress of this is really helping my chances in this 2ww.

1 comment:

  1. hopefully, because the success rate with IVF is so good, you'll only need to go through this once.

    ALSO, my verification word was 'kidio", so maybe that's a nice sign.

    ReplyDelete