Friday, June 3, 2011

Discharged today. Just me, not him.

Let the tears commence.  We knew it was a strong possibility that he would not be ready to come with us, and I cry every time I think about it.  He is still making great progress, and was weaned off his IV fluids as of our last feeding this morning, but he was also placed under the billirubin lights because he is showing signs of jaundice.  So now we can't even look at him for extended periods of time because the lights will actually make one sick enough to vomit if looked at too long.   I feel so bad for the poor little guy.  He has spent the first two days of life getting stuck repeatedly in the heel to test his blood sugar (he cries and cries when this happens, it is so heartbreaking to hear) and now he has little foam goggles strapped to his head.  As of now, he is slated to come home on Sunday.  Not bad at all for his gestational age, but just a few days is harder emotionally than anything I could imagine.  My heart truly goes out to all the parents with babies in there longer.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry Laura, I am sure he will be home soon. Get some sleep, T&P for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had my DS, the first night of his life he spent alone away from me and my husband. I had pre-e and had to go on mag sulfate, and DS was born at 36 weeks. We got discharged 2 days later with a promise to bring him back for another jaundice test... Long story short, he had to go back in under the lights. At 4 weeks old, we had to bring in for emergency surgery and I honestly thought I wouldn't get through it. I feel for you and your husband and I hope everything goes well and he'll be home with you soon!

    Btw, congratulations on your little boy! I've been following your blog since we were both on The Knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((hugs)) sorry sweetie. I hope he's home soon <3

    ReplyDelete