Tuesday, May 3, 2011

may need to consider a scheduled c-section

I had my monthly u/s with the MFM doc. today.   Everything looked good, but the tech kept going back and measuring the belly.  Finally she asked if I'd passed my GD test, because his abdomen was measuring ahead by quite a bit.  I said I had, and that they told me if they didn't call it meant I'd passed.  I asked if everything else was measuring ahead too, since he'd been about 2 weeks ahead since 20 weeks.  He was still 2 weeks ahead in general, but his abdomen was in the 93rd percentile, whereas everything else was above the 50th percentile.   So naturally I start wondering if my GD results were somehow lost, but I had my OB appointment a few hours later and was told I passed with flying colors.

The mid-wife did express some concern when I mentioned the u/s measurements...and that baby has an estimated weight of 4.9lbs!!   She said that shoulder size usually correlates with abdominal size, and the doctor would discuss the possibility of scheduling a c-section at my 34 or 36 week appointment.

My "birth plan" has always been whatever is best for me and the baby, whether that be natural, medicated or c-section, but at this point in my pregnancy, I didn't think I'd need to be choosing one over the other before I was actually in labor.   I really have mixed emotions about choosing a c-section.  I know I don't want a 22hr labor and then an emergency c/s, but I'd like the chance to do it without major surgery.   I admit most of my immediate reasons for not wanting a c/s are vain and selfish....mainly extended recovery time, not being able to resume normal activity right away and start working off the baby weight (yes, I realize that last part is highly delusional).  On the other hand, just the word episiotomy scares me.   So I guess I'll do some research and see what the next few weeks bring.  I think it is safe to say I'm tossing out any thoughts of natural birth!

We did get to see his face today...and we got a smile!  He was practicing smiling and frowning.   I think he may have my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. 2 things. I had a scheduled c-section for a variety of reasons that were important to me because I did not want to risk being in labor indefinitely and having a csection anyway. Let me know if you have any questions if you need to ask, if you decide to go that route and need to talk. It was not as bad as most people claim a csection is, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Recovery for a planned c/s is much better than an emergency one. I was driving 8 days later. On the other hand, I wasn't able to get up and about for 24 hours, and holding the baby was difficult for a couple of days. With a natural birth, you're more mobile right away.

    In the end, whatever you decide and whatever is the best way for you to go is going to be the right decision. I feel comfortable with how my birth experience played out.

    and second, the hiccups are cute. at first. then they just annoy you when you are trying to sleep. ;)

    But you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete